Wednesday, January 12, 2005

That Elusive Connection...

Human nature is a funny thing sometimes. I have read in many places that it takes a while for the parents to bond with an unborn child. Both, myself and Wendy have believed this fact for most of the pregnancy .... till yesterday. Actually, we have never felt much connection to the baby, so much so that both of us started to wonder if we can be good and loving parents.

However, things definitely changed yesterday. Yesterday, Wendy suddenly told me that it was very strange in that our baby was no longer active and that she is feeling few and far between fetal kicks. She felt this strange turn of events a couple of days ago and it seemed that the baby was moving less everyday. Upon hearing this, I was at a loss with all manner of horrible thoughts going through my mind, the worse (which was extremely silly, now that I come to think of it) being, "What about the umbilical cord wrapped around our baby and strangling him in the process?" I panicked. Both, myself and Wendy then spent countless hours last night coaxing the baby to give us some response. After nearly 1 hour of trying (with all manner of soothing words, poking the belly etc etc..) we were finally rewarded by a series of very strong kicks and life's back to normal again. I didn't know whether to laugh of to cry once I felt the baby movements again....This is one moody baby indeed! Or is it lazy? :-)

In anycase, my point is, for the first time in my life, I felt this parental bond and boy, is it strong!

I think we are both going to be alright afterall...and yes, I have confidence that Wendy and myself will be great parents....

No comments: