Thursday, July 19, 2007

UN-NA-MED...

Hmm...for those of you who are confused and thinking that Didi is called Chan Di-di... I need to put in a note of clarification (actually, Wendy said that I HAD to put in a word to clarify that Didi's name is NOT Chan Didi... :))

Officially, Didi's hospital tag is called CHAN, UN-NA-MED (as per how Malaysians often mispronounced words in pidgin English.. :) ) or should I say, CHAN, UNNAMED. So, as of this minute, Di-Di is still unnamed.

Di-di in Mandarin means younger brother and that is what all of us are calling him for now until we find a good name for him.

Finding a good name in Chinese isn't a walk in the park. Rules of the game:

1) First name (which is generational name) needs to be Da (Big in Chinese).
2) Yong (Brave in Chinese) is already taken by big brother.
3) Ee, Heng, Chin, Pei, Fen, An, Bee all taken because the kid cannot be named after older close relatives.
4) Cannot sound or mean silly things e.g. Big Head, Big Hands etc.

With those in mind, here are a few suggestions so far:
(a) Da-Wei
(b) Da-Wern
(c) Da-Shen
(d) Da-Guo
(e) Go back to the dictionary.

Hmm...maybe this is a goodtime to get some feedback from anyone reading. Should it be (a), (b), (c), (d) or (e)?

Help? :)

7 comments:

Leng said...

I like Da-Wei although it's pretty common compared to Da-Wern. No comment on Da-Shen but Da-Guo sounds like Big World =) Regards LCC

Mommy said...

When looking through the options, my immediate preference was (c) Da-Shen. It sounds good. Da-Guo sounds like Big Brother.
PS/ Siong Ee, write to me! smclai1@yahoo.com

Mommy said...

Oh, congratulations to Wendy & Siong Heng!

Anonymous said...

Hello Leng Chi Chi,
Nice to hear from you and thank you for your well wishes..I like Da-Wei too but let's wait and see what everyone else has to say :)

Susan,
Thanks for leaving comments at our blog, I'm sure SE is in touch with you, hope to see you someday.

Wendy

siongee said...

Hmm for me, it's a tie between Da-Wei and Da-Wern. I like both...

Anonymous said...

Before I read your blog, I've already thought of Da-Wern, and what a coincidence, it's there. So definitely, my choice is (b).

Da-Wei Chan said...

I honestly like the name Da-Wei, it really resonates with the person in total... hopefully youll pick that over all the others. B)